Saturday, September 29, 2007

amusing you?

Hello. How are you? Where are you?

I am sat here under a whirring fan on the 6th floor of “Jupiter Towers” in the Bodakdev/Vastapur part of Ahmedabad. It’s a humid evening and my fingers are working slowly. It’s actually not that late in the day about 9.30pm but I’ve been travelling and I feel a little drowsy.

My drowsy mind keeps asking me a question…How do I start a blog? (there’s a bigger one there as well…how do you I keep a good blog?). But to start…I guess the first thing is with a welcome.

So hello and namaste. Please take your shoes off on the way in. Just leave them there by the door. Yes, just there. That’s great. Thanks. I trust you will stay as long as you need to and I hope that I can write as much as needs to be written.

Where to start now? I’ll try to start near the beginning...

I was welcomed to India with a pleasing surprise – bhindi noo shak (okra curry) was my first meal here in Jupiter Towers. It was pleasing because it was also what my mum cooked for dinner last night in rainy Watford. After lunch I then went over to the offices where I’ll be working, had a little wonder around the streets and then came back here for dinner. I then went out and had a coffee and….

…wait now; you didn’t sign up to hear about what I had for dinner. You were expecting tales of the unexpected, right? Perhaps I would tell you something significant, something important, a revealing idea, something revolutionary or even something a little revolting.

You were expecting blood, and guts and tears and…well anything but what I had for dinner. And didn’t I know it. As I went about the town, there was this extra voice in my head wondering about whether each incident might be worthy of blogging…And frankly there wasn’t all that much that did feel worthwhile

And so a few moments ago when I opened up this computer, I felt like an amateur Marco Polo, shuffling his feet in front of his royal audience holding nothing more than a meagre box of a-not-very-unusual spice from the local corner shop. I was hoping that the royal audience will send me off travelling again to look for something more exciting rather than send me off minus my little head.

So, dear virtual kings and queens, rather than risk this fate I’ve decided that I’m not going to try to amuse you. Instead I’m going to go about amusing myself (easy tiger) ...and if I get caught by something and this something wants to be told, then I’ll come here and I'll share that with you. What do you think? Do you think it might work better than 9 months of ‘what I had for dinner today’?

Night, night.

rupesh

7 comments:

Rob Weston said...

Hey Rupesh, good to hear your voice from so far. I thought the here-and-now-ness of your first post was superb. I have no doubt I will enjoy more such. I also want some flashbacks - about what led to your decision to shift out to India?

AND I wantto hear something revolting :)

Namaste,

Rob
www.heatedexchange.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Namaste Rupeshmama,

I am missing you,I forgot that you had gone to India, I asked nani this morning if I could speak to you on the phone. Dhruv and i went to a thomas show and we really liked it.


Love meera

Deborah said...

Hello Rupesh - lovely to hear your voice and personally i'm very interested in the food so i hope we get some more of that occasionally. Autumn here is rolling in with grey mists and trees just starting to turn fiery.

all the best
Deborah

Anonymous said...

Hi Rupesh, what a great welcome to your blog. I was looking forward to some colourful images of your time in India, and that's exactly what you painted with your words. You are such a great communicator, and this will carry you through whatever challenges are ahead.
love Karen

vishaal said...

hey bro hows it going?? just got ya blog link from rami!!! hope you ok and settling in well?
i just got home from work! dont worry u not missing much in terms of the weather here!!!

saw meera and dhruv yesterday!! got him a mini scalectrix for his bday!! bought back memories of us wen we were kids at moorpark with ur set lol!!!

anyway im intreagied with ya blog and ive only just read it!! so will defo be keeping logged on to see how ya getting on!!!

seen any potential yet?? haha just kidding!!

anyway take cre and speak to u real soon!!

anupa and harsh say hi!!
c ya later
vish

Chris Seeley said...

Hi Rups - yes all about food, with translations too is great. perhaps things might evolve into recipies.
Tim, Debs and I went to see the Indian production of a Midsummer Night's Dream last nigt in Bath - it was very lovely. Now back to work today, hey ho. Love Chris xx

The Jiwanjis said...

Dear Rupesh,

Thank you for entertaining us with your thoughts and insights about life in India.

We regularly change seats here in Fiji, but haven't tried eating separately... might give me a rest from all of Moortaza's and Abbas' chacha! Just about to give birth and we will keep you informed as soon as number 2 comes along.

All for now and take care.
Alefiyah